|Work Schedule:||Monday - Friday 8am- 5pm|
Volunteers of America Texas is a faith based, non-profit organization dedicated to helping individuals, families and communities reach their full spiritual, emotional and physical potential and wellbeing through a vast array of services that target the elderly, the intellectually disabled, those striving to overcome substance abuse, and those transitioning from correctional centers.
Volunteers of America Texas is seeking a Senior Accountant to join our team. This position will lead the accounting and reporting of various private, foundation, federal and state contracts including, but not limited to Department of State Health Services and Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, detail-oriented, organized, a team player, with the skills to multitask in a high-volume, fast paced environment. The candidate must be flexible and able to meet all reporting deadlines.
The Senior Accountant is a member of the Finance Team, which is responsible for all accounting and finance transactions within the organization. The Senior Accountant helps to ensure timely and accurate monthly and annual close processes by completing all assigned general ledger account reconciliations. These duties are performed to the highest possible standards of excellence and compliance with accounting and financial management standards as well as internal policies and procedures.
- Perform professional accounting work involving compilation, consolidation, analysis of financial data, and preparation of monthly /yearly financial statements for Programs.
- Assist Controller with monthly and annual close processes, including preparation of General Ledger Journal Entries, review AP, and review and record AR.
- Ensure that assigned general ledger accounts are complete, materially accurate and properly presented in the financial statements; Ensure that all transactions underlying the accounting records are valid and represent the legitimate assets, liabilities, revenues and expenses of VOA Texas.
- Prepares and maintains appropriate source documentation supporting account reconciliations, journal entries and analyses for assigned general ledger accounts.
- Assists in the preparation of monthly financial statements for assigned programs and related entities including variance analysis.
- Assist Program Managers with preparation of budgets and forecasts.
- Assist in grant accounting process, reporting, and financial compliance including preparing budgets for Application of State & Federal Grants, Contracts, Foundation, and other nonprofit funding.
- Serve as a partner to program managers with financial statement questions, including conducting necessary research into A/P, A/R, and payroll issues raised by managers; addresses and resolves these issues and questions.
- Provides account analysis and supporting documentation to external auditors and regulators, as requested, under the direction of departmental leadership.
- Identifies methods to improve the efficiency and the effectiveness of the financial close process and communicates them to an appropriate level of management.
- Promotes an organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission, cooperation, open and frequent communication, teamwork, and is in alignment with the organizational vision.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting from an AACSB-accredited school of Business. CPA a plus.
- Three to five years of general ledger, accounts payable, payroll and reconciliations. Not-for-profit accounting experience preferred; knowledge of GAAP is necessary.
- Proven ability to be proactive with excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and database spreadsheets; experience with Solomon a plus.
- Valid Texas Drivers License and ability to be insured; valid Vehicle Liability if driving personal vehicle.
Volunteers of America - Texas offers a comprehensive Benefits Plan: Health, Dental, Vision, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, and Paid Time Off (PTO) for full time positions.
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications