|Work Schedule:||Variable Hours|
DescriptionVolunteers of America Texas is a faith based, non-profit organization dedicated to helping individuals, families and communities reach their full spiritual, emotional and physical potential and wellbeing through a vast array of services that target the elderly, the intellectually disabled, those striving to overcome substance abuse, and those transitioning from correctional centers.
The Lead Cook ensures that the kitchen is maintained in an orderly, safe, economical fashion, as designated by State and Federal Health codes and in accordance with VOA-TX policies and procedures and sponsoring agency requirements. The Cook III is responsible for organizing and leading the daily activities of all kitchen staff and the preparation of daily meals.
- Provides guidance for all kitchen staff for effective, efficient performance.
- Orders all items needed in the operation of a full service kitchen in compliance with authorized menu and health requirements.
- Prepares duty assignments for other cooks.
- Practices good safety at all times.
- Ensures that menus are followed and that quality food is served in an appealing manner.
- Prepares menu items according to the published menu guide.
- Ensures that necessary food items are available to meet required menu, including driving to the food bank or other suppliers to pick up food items.
- Monitors staff to ensure that menu items are being prepared according to established recipes and assists in preparation as necessary.
- Ensures portion control is practiced during preparation and serving of meals.
- Coordinates with Facility Manager to provide in-service training for all kitchen staff.
- Develops and implements a system which maintains all inventory records and temperature logs.
- Tracks use and disposition of commodity and food bank items.
- Provides input into the development of kitchen budget and ensures that purchases made are within budget guidelines.
- Assists supervisor with budget control activities, e.g., conserving resources, reducing utilities cost, avoiding waste, reducing overtime, etc.
- Ensures that no rusted or dented products are utilized or stored.
- Implements directives as issued and monitors staff for compliance.
- Maintains a neat and clean work area at all times.
- Ensures proper uniform is worn at all times.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and must successfully complete any required training and acquire any required certifications within prescribed timeframes. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent plus three years experience in institutional or cafeteria food service; one year experience as a food service supervisor/manager is desirable.
- Food Handlers certificate or the ability to obtain certification is required within a specified time frame
- Valid Texas Drivers License (must be received within 30 days of employment) and ability to be insured; valid Vehicle Liability if driving personal vehicle.
Competitive pay commensurate with experience.
Volunteers of America - Texas offers a comprehensive Benefits Plan: Health, Dental, Vision, Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, and Paid Time Off (PTO) for full time positions.
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today!
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications